***

Life, love, work, guilty pleasures and keeping it real.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Weekend in Food

After a somewhat dreadful week, I made up for it with a weekend full of good times and good food. The Tim McGraw concert was fabulous, and this year I remember it :) Hopefully Jaima will get me some pictures soon that will tell the tale of our evening!

Mikey, Mike (Mikey's Dad) and I hit up Farmer's Market for our first time this season on Saturday afternoon. Needless to say, we have been missing out all summer and are planning to be back there next Saturday morning. Easier said than done, we passed up all of the incredible (smelling and looking) food at the market as nothing can compete with a Caputo's craving.

I never appreciated, desired or enjoyed Caputo's as much as I do
now - thanks to Mikey.











































As Linda (Mikey's Mom) is out of town to be with Alicia (as she is ready to pop any day now!!!) we decided to try something new for dinner and have Mike over to thank him for the great day! With our borrowed deep fryer from Mike and a craving for some fish... I decided to make
fish and chips!

Fish:
On a quest for halibut, I decided fresh cod was a more economical choice and went with that.
I sliced the cod, salt and peppered it, dipped it in egg and smothered it in Panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs).
In a pan with about a tablespoon olive oil and a tad of beer and lemon, I browned each side of the fish in separate batches. {this turned out AMAZingly, I will be doing it again}

"Chips":
I cut up a ton of potatoes and tossed them in the deep fryer for a simple and oh-so-delectable fresh fries to accompany the fish... simply tossed with salt and pepper. {anyone who knows me well'ish, knows that I could live off of fries and having this handy dandy fryer in my possession is a potential detriment to the size of my ass}

A fun extra:
Never having made onion rings and having this fryer on my hands, I decided to use the onion I had on-hand and give it a whirl.
I sliced the onion and tossed in in flour, baking soda, salt and paprika and set them to the side. I added in some milk and an egg to this mix which created a batter. I then coated the onions, covered them in Panko and tossed them in the deep fryer... these turned out like WHOA. :)
The Drink:
Feeling more than appropriate for the dinner theme I had created, I used extra jars from my jam experiment and made a YUmmy spiked lemonade, dressed with a fresh lemon.
Ah... I LOVE food, and love making new things. This weekend's experiment turned out incredibly. Now, back to a week of the gym and non-extravegant meals... we our celebrating our one year anniversary in ONE week!

No comments:

Post a Comment