***

Life, love, work, guilty pleasures and keeping it real.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fresh ta' death...

In an effort to help minimize my large ass, be an impressive wife and do what I love to do... I decided to try something super simple and healthy for dinner this evening. It's a compilation of my favorite Greek'ish items.

What this really has turned into is the Greek version of my ever-changing Mexican dishes (think chicken tacos, gourmet chicken quesadillas, chicken Mexican'ish salad, Mexican casserole, the list goes on and on). I have key ingredients that I always have on hand and always make something delicious with: chicken, onions, green peppers, cilantro, beans, spanish rice, tortillas, cheese, etc. I am started to also keep more Greek'ish items on hand in addition to my rice and bean staples. More of these fresh ta' death staples include: tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, garlic, Greek yogurt and lemon.
Rather than making the more time consuming (and totally delicious) Greek meal favorite {I have recently posted here}, I took some of those ingredients and made something fast, exploding with flavor and all fresh ingredients. What does this also mean? It's healthy!!!
I call this my Greek Chicken Salad served with Lemon Basmati Rice

I took chicken and marinated it in a bowl with:
Olive oil
Fresh lemon juice
Dried oregano
Fresh minced garlic
Just a touch of salt and pepper
*I then broiled the chicken for about 7 minutes on each side
Raw chicken is so nasty
Salad:
I chopped up 2 cucumbers (peeled and de-seeded)
2 roma tomatoes
about 10 grape tomatoes
red onion sliced very thin (to your liking)
small handful of parsley chopped super fine
diced/crumbled a 1/2 brick of feta cheese

Dressing:
See tzatziki recipe here

Rice:
I served a little bit of rice with this dish to balance the acidity from all of the veggies (my tummy is crazy and would not appreciate me if I did not).
I used basmati rice, which you can find at an Indian or Iranian specialty market
I first browned the rice with just a splash of olive oil
Added a few dashes of fresh lemon
Cooked as normal

Once the chicken was done, I let it cool for about 2.5 minutes since I have absolutely no patience. I mixed it in with the salad and voila!

I served the salad with tzatziki and rice on the side. We decided to mix it all together and it was a total delight!

I was nervous since I had never done this before, but I was fairly certain I would love the flavor since it encompassed all of my favorite fresh ingredients. Well ladies (and maybe some gentlemen)... I give to you our new favorite dish....
Machel's Greek Chicken Salad
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment