***

Life, love, work, guilty pleasures and keeping it real.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hi, my name is Machel and I am a WINO


Once upon a time, I was an amateur wine drinker. Hell, I would enjoy whatever you gave me, including boxed wine. Today, I most likely would not turn down a glass of boxed wine, I would just pound it in slight disgust until about glass 3.5- then I would probably love it.
I have evolved from a strictly sweet, white wine drinker to a lover of medium-bodied red wines, and the boldness of a Cabernet is also growing on me.
It's not about pounding bottle after bottle of wine, lets not lie- sometimes it is, but it's also about enjoying a glass of wine that pairs perfectly with your meal, it's about sipping a glass of Merlot with rich chocolate cake, it's about soaking in a bubble bath with a glass of Chardonnay and of course it's about getting together with friends and family and having great conversation and good times over endless bottles of every kind!
Like books, hair products and beauty supplies, I am often mezmorized by a good "cover"/wine label. The art, the colors, the style or even the name can force me to make a purchase that I may regret after one sip... I have learned to buy the cute ones and store them in my wine rack... this way they are there for emergencies. (Emergency: girl's night when everyone brings a bottle to share, you run out and resort to your decoration or super-expensive surplus).

To kick off the first-part of my WINO series, I present to you
. . . Cartlidge and Browne's North Coast 2006 Merlot. . .
In a quest to find the perfect wedding day wines, we tested about six red and six white wines. It was a blind taste test. My Dad rounded up 12 bottles and poured glass after glass... then we made our top three choices and went with those. This was one of our choices.
The Cartlidge & Browne winery is located in Napa Valley, with fruit sourced from acres and acres of vineyards throughout California. This Merlot embodies a CA fruitiness with a French styling. I loved this red because it not too heavy - a perfect blend of sweetness and richness, and I thought people would appreciate the versatility of the taste.

Merlot 2006 North Coast:
Sources: Lake County, Sonoma, Mendocino
Tasting Notes: There is roundness and depth, and the top notes of cranberry and juicy bing cherry are accompanied by plenty of ripe black fruit. Mocha hints, along with a cedary character on the finish.
Cartlidge & Browne Winery, Napa Valley California



2 comments:

  1. Oh my hell sweetie, I love you! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! This is Elijah from C&B Winery and I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your write up of our Merlot! We work very hard at what we do and it is soooooo great to be appreciated. I love your blog--you have a great writing style. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete