***

Life, love, work, guilty pleasures and keeping it real.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Not yo' mama's sugar cookies (MY Mama's sugar cookies)



I am a sugar cookie snob. While most people enjoy the Lofthouse sugar cookies you can pick up at any grocery store, I refuse to consume them. They taste like chalk with some sugar in the mix... lacking flavor and in my opinion, just plain gross! This may be because like much of the food I enjoy, I was spoiled by my Mom with delicious, flavorful, beautiful sugar cookies. Different shapes and frosting colors to coordinate with each holiday... pink hearts, green four leaf clovers and Christmas trees, orange pumpkins... mmmmm

I have had a mad craving for her sugar cookies the last few weeks, rather than relying on her to satisfy my craving, I gave her impressive sugar cookie recipe a whirl. I eat one with each meal: breakfast, lunch and dinner... and lets not lie, maybe more than one. :) I think they're calorie-free actually.


Cream butter. Blend in egg, sugar, vanilla and lemon.
Add sour cream (YUMM), flour, baking soda and salt.

Cool cookie dough in the fridge for at least one hour.

Flour your surface well and roll doll out... be sure to not roll the
dough too thin - once you bite into a thicker cookie, you'll know why!
Mix cream cheese and butter... add powder sugar and food coloring of your choice!

Cool cookies, frost and eat a dozen!


AMAzing Sugar Cookies:
1/2 cup butter (cream)
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lemon extract *
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1/2 cup sour cream *
3 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cool cookie dough in the fridge for one hour
Bake at 375 for 8 - 10 minutes

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 package cream cheese
2 tbls. butter
2 tsp. lemon extract *
2 + cups powdered sugar (until you reach the right consistency)

* denotes ingredients that make this recipe OH-SO-Delicious!

Besides the incredible flavor, these cookies are super easy to prepare! And, while I am not one to indulge in cookie dough, Mikey is, and he LOVED this cookie dough! With sour cream, lemon and vanilla in the mix - how can you not?!

ENJOY

1 comment: